Re: [ANN]: Firestorm 0.5.1 released

On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 01:49, Dave wrote:
> How does this compay to SNORT and other NIDS?...sounds similar..

It's similar, but thats mainly because it is still young and my focus
has been on getting it usable so people can use existing snort signature
base.

Biggest difference to snort currently is probably performance, firestorm
is a much more efficient, and I also think alert ratelimiting is a
useful feature to prevent DoS attacks too for example, stick/snot can
still DoS your sensor if you only feed it icmp and udp signatures which
can't be state tracked.

As far as the IDS sensor goes, I want to turn firestorm in to something
which has full (ie: not ugly and hacky) protocol decodes and application
layer state tracking, something similar to how I understand real-secure
works.

My overall motivation is to create infrastructure and tools to manage
the IDS data effectively, remote logging, a powerful analyst console,
correlation tools etc...

--
// Gianni Tedesco (gianni at ecsc dot co dot uk)
lynx --source www.scaramanga.co.uk/gianni-at-ecsc.asc | gpg --import