Re: Help wanted regarding Firestorm0.3.0 (NIDS)... if possible ASAP

On Thu, 2002-03-21 at 03:35, kesav wrote:
> Dear Mr.Gianni Tedesco,
>
>        We are graduate students of university of
> memphis in memphis,USA. We were trying to install
> firestorm NIDS on linux box. we are facing some
> problems. I am briefly oultining them below:
>
> 1. we are trying to install version 0.3.0. i copied it
> to my root folder. This is the root folder for my
> login/user id. Do i need to have root permissions of
> the whole network.
>
> 2. if i don't need them, i extracted the tar file and
> changed into the source directory and ran the
> ./configure command. after that i ran make command and
> them make install.
>
> 3. i could not get the usr directory and the make
> install process exited at this point saying that it
> does not have permissions. I am pasting u the output
> below...
>
> Making install in src
> make[1]: Entering directory
> `/users/kgndpntl/firestorm-0.3.0/src'
> make[2]: Entering directory
> `/users/kgndpntl/firestorm-0.3.0/src'
> /bin/sh ../mkinstalldirs /usr/local/bin
>  /bin/sh ../libtool  --mode=install /usr/bin/install
> -c  firestorm /usr/local/bi
> n/firestorm
> /usr/bin/install -c firestorm /usr/local/bin/firestorm
> /usr/bin/install: cannot create regular file
> `/usr/local/bin/firestorm': Permiss
> ion denied
> make[2]: *** [install-binPROGRAMS] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory
> `/users/kgndpntl/firestorm-0.3.0/src'
> make[1]: *** [install-am] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/users/kgndpntl/firestorm-0.3.0/src'
> make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
>
> can u please guide me in this regard.
>
> thanking you in advance,
>
> Sincerely,
> Kesav

Hi kesav,
	yes, you do need to be root to make install. Use the 'su' command
(minus quotes) and enter your root password, then issue the make install
command. Later on you can configure firestorm to run chroot (without
root privileges = more security) once started as root.
hth,
Matt

--
NyQuist | Matthew Hall -- NyQuist at ntlworld dot com --
http://NyQuist.port5.com