Re: detecting ftp/www conn. in all routed streams

On Tue, 2002-04-16 at 17:06, Banai Zoltan wrote:
> HI!
>
> I have a question:
> Is it possible to detect ftp and http session in all routed connecions
> with firestorm?
>
> I have a subnet where is need to detect ftp and http connections to
> ftp/www servers in our subnet(to _any_ port).
> So i think there is need to reassembly all tcp streams and
> analyze if the connection is that type.

Hi,

Probably the easiest thing to do is look for distinctive characteristics
eg: "GET http://"; or "HTTP/1.1" etc..

If you were to reassemble all TCP streams fully and perform protocol
analysis it could be a major performance overhead. You could maybe
implement it that way as a preprocessor module which rebuilt the first
few hundred bytes of the stream and did a basic protocol check but
getting it reliable enough might prove a bit tricky. Either way thats
0.4.x stuff ;)

There are plans to do more kind of application layer stuff so detecting
the presense of a protocol in a given stream maybe something really
interesting for us to implement.

Hope that helps..

--
// Gianni Tedesco <gianni@xxxxxxxxxx>
8646BE7D: 870E A2C9 8F60 3A3C 91B5 7669 8646 BE7D